Creole French Toast
French brioche bread
1 tsp vanilla
1 shot spiced rum
1 Tbsp milk or cream
1 tsp cinnamon
1) Mix the egg with the rum, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
2) Dip the slices of brioche into the egg mixture soaking each side and place slices into medium temp skillet.
3) Cook until golden brown on each side. Remove from pan.
4) Top with brown sugar, maple syrup, and a light drizzle of molasses.
Quick and Easy Cronuts
Pillsbury crescent roll dough
Cooking oil of your preference
1) Roll crescent roll dough and shape into rings.
2) Drop donuts into hot oil
3) Fry on each side until golden brown
4) Remove from oil and cool on paper towels to soak up excess grease
5) Glaze with creamed honey
Commentary: Cronuts are super hard to find, so I just wanted to come up with a quickie recipe similar to what we previously did with our Mini King Cakes. I don’t know if it gets much more quick or easy than this.
Low-Cal Organic Blueberry Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white splenda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar splenda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 6 jumbo muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk whole wheat flour, white splenda, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk skim milk, egg, softened butter, and vegetable oil. Mix the liquid ingredients into the whole wheat flour mixture to make a smooth batter, and gently fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them to the top.
- Combine brown sugar splenda with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl and spoon the mixture onto the muffins, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Guilt-Free Cajun Crab Cake Benedict
I’ve decided to try a new diet called the 5:2 Fast Diet. Basically, you fast (eat under 500 calories) for 2 days of the week and eat normally for the other 5. I was craving Eggs Benedict and although it was not one of my “fast days,” I knew I would feel guilty eating so much butter. I found a recipe online using yogurt instead and it was delicious. Scott added a little bit of Curry powder to his a really enjoyed it. I recommend it even if you aren’t counting calories!
Serving: For 2
Guilt-Free Hollandaise Sauce
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt, plain
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pinch fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp fresh chives
1 tsp of Tony Chachere’s
1 cup of frozen Southern Style Hashbrowns
2 frozen Cajun Crab Cakes
1 Use double boiler or like me – place a strainer/sieve over a sauce pan of water and place a bowl in the sieve.
2 Beat yogurt, lemon juice, egg yolks well
3 Heat over simmering water, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened, approx 15 min (sauce will become thinner after about 10 min and then thicken again).
4 Remove from heat and stir in salt, mustard, pepper and Tony’s and chives.
Top baked country hashbrown potatoes with baked Cajun Crab Cake (follow baking instructions on package) and poached egg. Top with Guilt-Free Hollandaise.
Inspired by: <a href=”http://www.food.com/recipe/yogurt-hollandaise-sauce-368990?oc=linkback”>http://www.food.com/recipe/yogurt-hollandaise-sauce-368990?oc=linkback</a>
Ham, Broccoli, Egg, and Cheese Casserole
12 slices bread
10 oz. pkg. frozen broccoli, chopped & cooked
2 c. cubed cooked ham
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. minced onion
3 1/2 c. milk
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp Tony Chachere’s seasoning
1/4 tsp mustard
Cut out bread rings. I used a shot glass and water glass to make rings but a doughnut cutter is ideal. Cut remaining bread scraps into 1/2 inch cubes. Layer bread scraps (not rings), broccoli, ham, cheese and onion in greased 3 quart casserole. Repeat layers. Mix eggs, milk, seasoning and mustard together and pour over all. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes uncovered. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
1/2 cup stone ground yellow grits
2 cups water
2 Tbsp butter
2 ounces jalapeno jack cheese
1/2 tsp salt
Put the grits in water and bring to boil. Lower temp to simmer. Add butter and salt and cover for 45 minutes, stirring often. After 45 minutes, add the cheese and stir and simmer for at least another 10-15 minutes.
Traditional Irish Breakfast
Winstons Irish bangers
Heinz Baked Beans
Winstons White Pudding
4 cups of mashed potatoes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
Place warm mashed potato in medium bowl. Stir in flour. Mix lightly until dough forms.
On a well floured surface, knead the dough lightly. The dough will be sticky. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten into a 9 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into quarters using a floured knife.
Sprinkle a little flour into the base of the skillet and cook the farls for 3 minutes on each side or until evenly browned. Season with a little salt and serve straight away.
Inspired by: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/irish-potato-farls/